View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 20:39   #136
Ken Moss
Common Sense Member

Re: Full Council - 1st & 9th March

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It shows a good man who apologies when he is wrong, maybe the use of the word "allegedly", may have avoided that, or the start of any sentence where your not 100% sure of your facts could srart "is it true" nobody can be pulled up for asking a question Ken
Thank you, John. It was a stupid error but worth it to learn a valuable lesson.

Cllr Britcliffe appeared to followed suit by threatening legal action to the opposition last night on various points. I can't say I condone such tactics over something and nothing and it would take something fairly major to incense me in such a way but I suppose that's the difference between us.

For myself, the greatest shock last night was the accusation that by submitting a motion to cancel buffets we were actually trying to increase our own allowances by the back door, a truly amazing piece of spin which I congratulated the Leader on at the time. The defence against cancelling council buffets was that it was far cheaper than claiming meal allowances, to my mind completely missing the whole point of what I was trying to say.

This came shortly before a question regarding the £17,500 mentioned last week in the Conservative budget which turned out to be payments of £500 per councillor to spend on whatever they saw fit in their ward. Despite repeated statements from Conservatives that the previous Labour government spent more than it should we get this behaviour from the local controlling group at a time when we should be making as many painless cuts as possible to save money.

Being an opposition councillor is tantamount to political impotence in many matters and why I very strongly hope that control of the council shifts to Labour in May. The increase in the workload will probably be even more than I imagine but if it means that we get to stop spending money that the borough cannot afford then I welcome the challenge.

I implore the residents to look beyond a flurry of handouts when casting their vote this May.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web