View Single Post
Old 21-03-2011, 17:39   #6
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: Changing face of Abbey Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi jaysay, Plus 2 is just a little higher up the street, there is that gap between Platts opticians and then Plus 2.

Many years ago (around the 1930s and 40s) some of the well known shops around that section of Abbey Street were:-
No. 1 was a Mr HACKING, bespoke tailor and gentlemen's outfitters - now Imposta Cafe. His two daughters did all the sewing and alterations. Jim Crabtree was manager of the outfitting department and took over the business when Mr Hacking retired. The business was later owned by a Mr Trotter.
No. 3 was a ladies fashion shop called Lovells, then changed to Le Dell Fashions (they also had a shop in the market hall). I remember many years ago going all the way to Manchester for an outfit for my works do, couldnt find owt, came home to Accy, when I got off the bus, I nipped into Le Dells as a last resort, and found just what I wanted! Wasted journey to Manchester!
No. 5 was Farmerys, sadlers and leather goods, they repaired and sold all types of leather goods and accessories (that must be where Ken Cleggs radio and TV shops now is. He of course started off life near the old Black Bull pub on Bull Bridge).
No. 7 was Abbey Decorations. In the 1950 , one of Accrington's first D.I.Y. shops
No. 9 was Mr John Connard, clogger and shoe repairer.
No. 11 Croasdale's sewing machines and repairers (see photo below) - I still have my gran's sewing machine with the Croasdale badge on. They were also along Blackburn Road, just under the railway arch.
No. 13 Co-op butchers and No. 15 Co-op grocers and provisions (this must be the photo in the first thread). Managed for a long time by a Tom Scott. Above both were meeting rooms available for hire. The entrance was in Stanley Street.
No. 17 Hoyle Bros. decorators, before they moved to Blackburn Road. Then Jack Ellis Carpets, then Egan's Fashions from the 50's to 1989.

and thats just about where we are up to on Abbey Street .......
Thanks Atarah