View Single Post
Old 23-03-2011, 15:53   #26
Eric
God Member

Re: Where's it all going to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Eric you are a master......of obfuscation.
I wonder just how many of the books you quote have been read by anyone who isn't doing a degree in Literature, History or some other such subject.
You mention academics...ah well, what they read is different to what is being commented on in this thread.
I am pretty sure that not many folk will read them for the pleasure of the story.
The kind of stories that this thread alludes to are the one which clearly are for 'pleasure reading', but also give an insight of the life and times of a young boy in America at the time of slavery........the writer always writes from their own perspective, so they are writing social commentary....whether that was their intention or not.
How can it be otherwise...we write what we know...what our life experineces have taught us...therfore that bit of experience says something about us, to anyone who then comes after and wishes to read what we penned.

You seem to be a very learned man, and far too serious to participate in such a lowly debate with us 'commoners'. (tug forelock and walks away shaking head)
"Learned" ... mmm, don't know about that ... but I have devoted (wasted?) a great deal of time and effort in the study of bibliography. So, I think I do know what I'm talking about.

Let's leave "Literature" for the moment. Say a particular thread were devoted to the "Pals", local war memorials, or the First World War in general. It would, no doubt, attract the attentions of, and comments from Retlaw. He would bring to the debate his compendious knowledge of the subject, the result of years of hard work and study. Would you suggest that he is "far too serious" to participate in the debate? Would you "tug forelock and [walk] away shaking [your] head"? I doubt it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote