View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29   #44
Ken Moss
Common Sense Member

Re: alternative vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Not to sure how I feel about this post , think if I was a Rishton voter I could really take offense that a candidate/Party looking for my vote would take such an elitist view of his electorate ....terms like "vast number"/"Many people" , (which suggests more than 50% + of the population) .... "need to be better informed" , do you really think the folks of Rishton are ignorant donkeys to be used for political gamesmanship .
Some people on either side of the political spectrum could think "better informed" could mean introduction of re-education camps (a Stalin/Harriet Harmon type of thing ... "we know whats best for you" ), or
maybe some sort of 'educational' means test could be introduced to wean out the non political savvy , ie was Lord Palmerston a Whig or a Tory ?
I think Mr Moss if you and your party want the votes of the folks of Rishton you need to show a bit more respect for the whole and not just the few, and stop using terms like "better informed" and "uphill struggle"
But it's the truth and I see it as part of my job to make sure the electorate are better informed about who we are and what we do. Since I got elected I have written several letters to every household, taken over running of the noticeboards and made as much of an effort as I can online to publicise what the Rishton councillors actually do.

I want everyone in Rishton to at least know who their councillors are because some of them still don't. When I am out in the village I always have some cards and a notepad with me so that if someone does present me with a problem it can be properly documented there and then. Whilst canvassing I have been able to report several things because some residents still don't know that a quick phonecall to any one of us could have dealt with it.

The fault lies with the councillors in most cases and in three years time when I go asking for people to vote for me again I would hope that most people at least recognise my name.

There really is no excuse for a politician who claims to represent the community and yet is never seen.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote