View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 13:35   #50
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Well played the North West

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
explain what a "plastic" is if you don't mind.
Here we go, best professors hat on & let's begin with the dissertation shall we ? Here's how I see it The suffix Plastic relates to an imitation of the original, as synthetics (plastics) became more readily available, cheaper & easier to use "Plastic" replaced the original material.

So in Footballing terms the original supporter would've been someone from that Town or City, born there & usually living there in later life. For the bigger clubs no big issue but smaller clubs would tend to struggle to get punters through the gates. Through the advent of public transport & the Auto-mobile this made journeys to far away places more readily available so people had the chance to travel to experience "better footy" & so they did. Initially a few hardy souls would travel to one of the nearby big Cities to watch the big clubs, thereby neglecting their Town teams & the like.

Then further inventions such as wireless & television hit the market, opening the sport to an even wider audience of non locals who would then at some point flock to these far flung outposts of sport to enjoy the titillation of a big club winning games ! The locals at first accepted the influx in revenue & commerce from these outsiders, but soon becoming swamped by them they rather derogatorily started to refer to them as "Plastic" (non originals). This sobriquet was then by extension carried across into other activities & sports ensuring its use as a colloquialism in the present day vernacular & it appears that this appellation is mightily alive & well in this modern day & age.

Thereby endeth this particular homily, please place your chairs up on the desk before you leave, the cleaning woman has better things to do than run round after you lot, exit quietly as other lectures are still in progress & just one moment Johnson ! ...... I'd like a word with you ! Young Mancie ! Put that can back in the bag ! Until you leave the confines of this room you're still on my time thank you very much ! And you boy ! "Who Sir ? Me Sir ?" Yes you sir ! less of your chit chat Master Jaysay & tuck your shirt tails in you, you scruffy little Homunculus !

Hopefully that makes everything as clear as mud now ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote