Thread: Age rated games
View Single Post
Old 18-10-2004, 10:45   #1
-pixie

Age rated games

I work in a games store and the big release out in a couple of weeks is Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. We have had 200 people pre order this game - its going to be huge.
The major problem I have with this is that the game is going to be handed over to children, the majority of them all about 10, maybe 11. The game is BBFC rated 18. It contains EXTREME scenes of violence akin to what you might expect in an 18 rated movie, yet parents from all walks of life are seemingly ok with ordering the game for their kids. Its part of a series - in the last one "Vice City", you got points for hooking up with ladies of the night, "using" their services and killing them after to get your money back. I actually explained this in blunt terms to one mother and she just smiled at her nine year old and claimed that it was ok, he'd played the game at his mates.
I'm not going to get all hysterical and blame a game for all societys ills - it just really annoys me when parents let their kids play such blatantly unsuitable games. The games are rated for a reason - I can't believe that so many people are fine with letting their children be exposed to such things.
Opinions? Am I being daft? Or not?
-pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web