Thread: Please Identify
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2004, 14:40   #11
Acrylic-bob
God Member

Re: Please Identify

>>Thanks WillowTheWisp I know my grandfather lived at another address in Ormerod street than Betty and it seems safe to assume that this is the area where the family lived, on the silk tassel the address for Great Grandmother Betty is 115 Ormerod St.<<

Hi nsha,
I've had a look at the photograph and it does not seem to be consistent with any of the houses on Ormerod Street which is quite a steep street and there appears to be no indication of a slope. The quality of the stone work is too well dressed for that street, compare it with the photo Willow took earlier today. The door is fairly common to the area as is the doorknocker. The panelled light above the door is unusual, I have not noticed that type before.

The manner of dress would seem to indicate a date for the photograph prior to 1914.
Looking at Betty, I would not put her age at any more than around thirty-ish. Which would give a date for the photograph of around 1880-1885. If you had a date of death for your grandfather this might help narrow the date down somewhat.

In 1890 Ormerod Street only extended up the hillside as far as it's junction with Perth Street. You mention a silk tassle bearing Betty's details, would this be the sort of thing commonly handed out to friends and relatives as a memorial following a persons death? If so, then it is highly likley that while 115 Ormerod Street may have been her last known address, it may not have always been her address. A great number of the houses built for mill workers were rented and both she and your grandfather may have moved around quite a lot.

Another thing to consider is the difference in the quality of dress of Betty and your grandfather. Betty is, by comparison, smartly dressed and gives the impression of being "in service", might the photograph have been taken outside her employer's house in another part of the town? Until the introduction of the mass produced kodak box cameras at the turn of the century, photography was a relatively expensive hobby and for that reason was not something that the working classes might indulge in.

These are just my thoughts on the issue, I hope they help.