View Single Post
Old 29-05-2011, 08:28   #32
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Bias local newspaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I don't ever remember Miles or Graham having their own 'Political Column' in opposition.
As posted earlier, did either, when in opposition ask for a column?

If they did, and were refused, then yes I would concede that there was some bias.

Yes the former leader did feature heavily in umpteen photographs in the Observer. Although from some comments on here that saturation may have gone against him.

However the Observer featured many stories that weren't favourable to the last ruling group, and lots of letters on their letters page that were critical of the last council's policies...mine included.

I honestly can't blame Cllr. Britcliffe if he's wangled a regular column, whilst leader of the opposition.

It sounds a little like sour grapes that Labour never thought of doing it, and thus didn't take advantage of a free platform to communicate with the electorate.

We're told Miles Parkinson will have a low-key profile in the press, and will concentrate on doing things, rather than be seen to be doing things.

That's all well and good, but don't criticise other politicans who are keener on having a higher public profile.

The public are fickle.

You only have to look at which newspapers have the highest circulations, to see that.

They're the ones which feature lots of daft nonsense, and non-stories.

Not being a keen a media whore as the last leader, might go against Cllr. Parkinson.

I hope not, as actions do speak louder than words...or pretty pictures.

I've never thought of the Observer as being skewed politically, one way or the other, and have yet to be convinced by anything that's been posted in this thread, so far.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote