View Single Post
Old 14-06-2011, 11:07   #7
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die

I didn't watch the program, so I can't comment on the content.....but to be fair John, you can't really compare your situation with the one that Terry Pratchett finds himself in.

You have managed your health (along with the professionals) and for that you are to be congratulated.......Terry Pratchett knows that somewhere down the line he is going to lose the mental ability to make that decision then....so he is alerting people to the fact that once he can no longer make these decisions, because of the degradation of thought processes brought on by Alzheimers disease, he has made his wishes clear.
He is to be applauded for that....making a choice well ahead of the need.

Euthanasia is a very thorny subject......very emotive.
During my life, I have watched people suffer and die very undignified deaths.
It is something that never leaves you, and something that you never get used to.

I know that I have myself said, when looking after someone in these terrible circumstance,(not within earshot) that we treat our animals much more kindly than we treat those with life limitting illnesses.
Life should not be preserved at all costs.......it is not the length of life that matters, it is the ability of a person to participate in life, to have quality of life, to be able to enjoy eating, sleeping and social pursuits, that matters most.

I will duck now and wait for the flack to pass over my head.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote