View Single Post
Old 23-06-2011, 19:49   #111
dusty mears

Re: Hyndburn Local History Society.

I feel some of Bob’s postings are a little inaccurate.
For the record I was at the meeting and did take some notes. Although there was some good ideas, too many involved funding and complicated, involved organising. To me, there wasn’t much evidence at the meeting of involvement with either funding or organising events. It’s not easy arranging 1 idea, let alone several. I’ve numerous years experience so know how difficult it is.
I’ve put forward some ideas already to HBC. One for next year, some others to the new Leader, Miles. I've another planned for 2016. The reason ideas aren’t public knowledge is that they need confirming. If no one knows about them, then no one’s disappointed or slagging the council off if they don’t materialise.
Having worked directly / indirectly with HBC over many years as a volunteer, what I’ve found they are good at is facilitating ideas/projects as best they can. You come up with the idea, funding, bodies to organise, get on with it and they’ll help where they can.
In the current financial climate, there’s neither the financial resource nor staffing time to dedicate to events. Why the meeting thought someone from the Council should be there was beyond me. To say staff are stretched in LA’s is an understatement. Gone are the days of “the Council sorting it out for you.”
My idea for 2016 (“under wraps”) doesn’t involve the Council and until I’ve met to determine it’s viability is known only to me (& 2 others). That way if it doesn’t get off the ground, no ones lost out but if it does, it’ll likely put Accrington into the international arena.
A poppies project was not discussed last night as a suggestion. I made the meeting aware of the Prospects Poppies for the Pals Project. An idea I came up with and discussed with HBC 3 years ago which became so massive it was split into 3 separate projects. Last year schools & other interested groups were invited to plant poppies to commemorate 2011 as the 95th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme. Hundreds of free seed packets were sent out across the Borough. Details of the project are on the Prospects Foundation Web Site.
It’s planned to continue with the Project until 2016 and build it up to the original vision I had. 01/07/2016 is supported by many I know as being the point / date to commemorate the Pals, and for that matter, any other service personnel the Borough has lost in too many conflicts.
The PPP project was publicised last year & this in LET & Observer. So as I said last night, short of putting a flyer through every house in Hyndburn, there’s only so much publicity you can do.
In addition, a couple of weekends ago, a Prospects Task Force, planted poppies at Oak Hill War Memorial, Mercer Park War Memorial and various other sites. Poppies have also been planted in Haworth Park some months ago.
Isnt the current Mayor’s office up next year? Not 2014
And picking up on other postings further down, nothing’s being planned behind closed doors. You don’t go spouting your mouth off from the roof tops and set yourself up for a fall until the plan’s clearly in place.
Who’s been planning what for 3 years – I’m the only 1 who came up with a project idea 3 years ago – Poppies. Back to publicity comments
I got the feeling that the group who met last night are not aware of / in touch with the numerous other groups & organisations in the Borough who can and do get things moving/done and who'd be interested. the mountain will not come to mohamed.

And yes, Father is the only one with the full list of those who fell. He won’t even let me see it ………………. I’m no 1 daughter. Why should he and Bill have spent more years than I can remember researching the Pals for others to just crib, poach, present as their own.
As for allegedly slamming the phone down – Id say that’s any phone owners prerogative. Bit like not answering the door if you don’t want to.

I admire the thought that the eyes of the world may be on Accrington between 2014-2016…………… Ambitious, but admirable.
dusty mears is offline   Reply With Quote