View Single Post
Old 23-06-2011, 20:11   #112
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Hyndburn Local History Society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
It pleases me that Walter is commenting and communicating his views, even if at variance with mine, as when the phone rings, he slams it down if he doesn't want to talk to you. Whenever I have asked him for information on any aspect of local history, he has obliged. However, if the mayor in 2016 wants a list of the local men who served in and fell in the Great War so that their names can be read out in honour, I doubt that Walter will supply it and he is the only one with that list. He has the ability to correct errors and omissions on our war memorials but doesn't, and as a result , men remain unhonoured.
I suggest you reread the thread on Oswaldtwistles War Memorials, when I complained about the number of mistakes, and those who are still missing.
One of Britcliffes comments was that if Mr Holmes will submit his list he would have it checked.
Checked by whom, the same two who cocked up the present list up ?. The only people who can confirm the accuracy of my lists are employed in Accrington Library, they accept my work without question, as do the staff at Fulwood Museum, and Bury Museum, when they ring with a query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I remain of the view that planning for events affecting the town should not be done behind closed doors in secrecy. I respect Walter's viewpoint from the opposite angle.
Nothing regarding what Prospects & the others are doing, has been done in secrecy, there have been several press releases in the past about their work.
Is it sour grapes because you and 7/16ths were'nt informed personally.
As for Accrington's War Memorial there are 83 names missing, 11 names spelt wrong & 10 men recorded twice (caused by errors in the A.O.& T., reporting) who else has taken the time to photograph the A.O.&T from 1914 to 1922, the Blackburn Times 1914-1919, Burnley News July Aug 1916, & the Chorley Guardian 1916, over 5000 digital images.
If you think I spend all this time and effort, just to have it judged by amatuers, I should coco.
Bill Turner was never asked to verify his "Accrington Pals" Books, now he has been followed by several who claim to be Pals experts, where did they acquire that knowledge. To me they are x spurts, ie x meaning was, and spurt which is a drip under pressure.
Bill & I spent several weeks during the early 2000's down at the Kew Record Office plus a lot of other places, searching for info, & now you think I should hand it over to your society.
I didn't start this task just for others to take the credit, I do it for my own satisfaction, & I will, do with it as I please.
Retlaw

Last edited by Neil; 23-06-2011 at 20:17. Reason: fix quote
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote