View Single Post
Old 24-06-2011, 13:47   #120
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Hyndburn Local History Society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
It pleases me that Walter is commenting and communicating his views, However, if the mayor in 2016 wants a list of the local men who served in and fell in the Great War so that their names can be read out in honour, I doubt that Walter will supply it and he is the only one with that list. He has the ability to correct errors and omissions on our war memorials but doesn't, and as a result , men remain unhonoured.
One thing that needs clarification, there are several lists in my computer relating to casualty figures, exactly which list would be read out, and by whom.
The total casualties for July 1st 1916, which contains many names of men who served in the 11th East Lancs, but had no connection with Accrington, to me they are also Accrington Pals they fought & died with them on July 1st.
Would this list that some one may read out, just be for Accrington, or for Greater Accrington as it was then known, which comprises the present day Hyndburn. That list is in the 1000's & includes those who are not recorded on memorials, many of whom had suffered in hospitals from their wounds for long periods, I have one on record, who died of war related wounds in the 1940's, and an autopsy revealed he still had shrapnel in his body when he died, is he entitled to be on that list, or is the cutoff point 1922, like a lot of War Memorials did.

Retlaw

Last edited by Neil; 24-06-2011 at 14:24.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote