View Single Post
Old 26-06-2011, 09:01   #65
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: New Accrington Bus Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8715 View Post
Peel Street bus station is well located (for shops etc) but at times chaotic, sometimes buses have to double park when they stop in the stand sometimes in the middle of the road, and the road surface is terrible and can be hard to cross at times.

I would have liked to have seen a rail bus interchange like at Nelson. It woudn't have been that hard to do, where Tesco is, utilise one of the levels of the carpark into a bus station

Personally I would back a return of the tram. And extend the network through Hyndburn.

I have only been to Nelson a couple of times and I can't say I was impressed(couldn't have been or I would go more often)........and maybe their rail station is more central(I didn't even know they had one!)......but to build a rail/bus interchange would shift transport and the town centre even further away. (what I mean by that is transport would be further away and the town centre would probably shift in that direction...might take a decade or two)
A bad idea for town centre shops.......it is uphill too, so a bad idea for the elderly, the disabled and the mums with prams and toddlers.
The only concern that would benefit would be the Tesco Extra store.......which would please them no end I reckon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote