View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 17:50   #1
Mikejoed

DJ's derogatory remarks about Accrington

I'm sure most of you will have seen or heard about the recent furore that was caused by the remarks made in wasisname's book about the Accrington Pals on the town centre.

The sad truth is he is right in his reference to the limits there are on shops in Accrington Town centre. Take away the pound shops and the charity shops and we'd be struggling to see another retailer in the town.

And I am still trying to figure out why more residents haven't complained bitterly about the delapidated state of the offices at the back of the town hall. They were blue and white when erected in the 60s and no doubt looked very smart at the time but now they are a terrible eyesore. I understand the council lease part of the building for the Benefits offices but who uses the rest of the building, I don't know. My view is, if it belongs to someone else, like a private company, surely the council has the byelaws to tell the owners 'Clean it up or else we will and charge you for it!'.

I am hoping attention is going to be given to this building at the council's next regeneration board meeting. Chamber of Trade tell me they have been trying to get something done about them for 11 years. It's a disgrace and a massive blot on Accrington's shopping centre. can you imagine putting up Christmas decorations or bunting for a royal occasion in your living room with the wall paper hanging off the walls and the paint peeling! Because that is how it is when the council decorate the Broadway shopping area with the 60s offices looking more like a Greek tramp ship from the same era!

Last edited by Mikejoed; 05-07-2011 at 17:54. Reason: Additional info
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web