Thread: World War 1
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 22:35   #211
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALONIKA View Post
Hi Retlaw. Many thanks for your reply.Do you think that news of his court marsall would have made the local newspapers also do you know which Battalion of the East Lancs he served with in France because his later Battalion the 9th were in Salonika in December 1915.
No information like that would have been censored, I don't think his family would have known either, nor do I think he would have admitted it.
He would probably just have sent his new address, and serial number when he was posted to the K.O.R.L.
Court Marshalls appear in many mens service records, for all sorts of reasons, even a simple accident was investigated, and recorded in his service records. The most severe punishment below imprisonment, was Field Punishment Nu 1, a man would be shackled in crucifiction manner to a post or a gun carriage wheel for 2 x 2 hour periods each day, usually in an area subject to enemy shell fire. No man wanted that punisment twice, and it would be a vivid demonstration to all the others. Later F.P. 1 was banned, and F.P. nu 2 was used more often, this was shackled for 2 x 2 hrs periods each day, but allowed move about.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web