View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 20:48   #126
Eric
God Member

Re: I want your desk cleared by 5....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Colin, I agree with the fact that people are our wealth.......but money is generated (in various ways) to look after the people of the borough.......and we need the best people to manage that resource.

It is easy to see how party politics can be counter productive in the use and distribution of precious resources......punch and judy politics are no servant to the people of Hyndburn
I would very much like to see local government de-politicised....get everyone working together for the common good of the community......not back biting and in-fighting because they see themselves as different...purely on the banner they travel under.

In local elections I never consider which party someone is aligned to........I only look at their track record for doing the job in hand....but I know that many people are blinded to who is best for the job by party politics.......foolish, but that is only my opinion.
You are dead right, hon. And a "de-politicised" council does work. At least, it works here. Our city council (it's a small city: 117, 000) oversees policing, fire department, ambulance service, sewer, water, natural gas, sports facilities (hockey rinks, football fields etc.), garbage pick up, road maintainece, city transit, and a lot more. And there is no party politics at City Hall. And for the life of me, I can't see why there should be.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote