View Single Post
Old 17-07-2011, 19:03   #178
Tealeaf
God Member

Re: Weatherspoons Pub coming to Accy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Tealeaf, you are exhibiting a kind of snobbery.
What snobbery? Please specify.

I doubt very much that there will be a proper tap room in this establishment That is a place where good men and true can exchange opinions sbout the wrongs of this world, where strong language is no barrier to frank discourse, where the bar is liberally decorated from post cards from the Costa del Sol, where betting slips are enthusiastically completed, where someone farts and no one objects and where everyone knows who's been in and who's not.

I remember drinking in Tim Martin's (aka Mr Wetherspoon) first pub up in Muswell Hill, in London, over thirty years ago. He was behind the bar and certainly a character, a big guy - about 6ft 6" with a typical antipodean sense of humour. A few year's later I was drinking in one of his first pubs in his chain, in the West End. It was called 'The Moon over Water' or something similar, a name he'd nicked from George Orwell's essay on the perfect English pub. Except this was not quite and you could see the rot was starting to creep in; it's been downhill ever since. I really can't be bothered visiting any of his establishments.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote