View Single Post
Old 19-07-2011, 14:54   #4
Gobbiner17

Re: Success of online petitions

It can be very depressing when petitions seem to have no effect at all. It's amazing that you got so many signatures, Margaret, you must have put a lot of effort into it. I've been knocked back many times in the past, so basically have given up with petitions too. However, in the Murdoch case Avaaz are saying that the petitions and messages caused a 4 month delay, then their poll and demos raised public awareness, their solicitors letters also had an effect, backing Hunt into a corner, plus their continuous pressure through the media and petitions finally helped gain a successful outcome. So without their other activities perhaps petitions would have been a waste of time, but combined with other activities they have been helpful I think by showing the general public that lots of people were concerned.

So I don't think petitions are absolute drivel even if they are treated with contempt. They can help and if it is easy to support one, ie one click to the page and one click to submit the message, then I reckon it helps bring more people into the equation.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote