View Single Post
Old 28-07-2011, 15:16   #16
Mikejoed

Re: Where have all the graves gone?

Retlaw, I am bewildered as to why you appear hell bent on proving I and everyone else, including newspaper reports wrong and only your good self reliably correct. You are clearly a stubborn owd coot and so stuck in yer ways you have this air of misguided authority that you are the only reliable source of information on Accrington History. When people become 'Unteachable' they've probably never learnt owt in the first place. One very good reason why I would never rely or put my trust in anything you have written.

Was the newspaper having a slack news day and made the entire episode up? I'm sure they didn't. And I wonder how much of newspaper information you have relied upon in your research over the years. Bet it weren't chip wrapper then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The two people that stained glass window refers to are.
Robert Hargreaves age 45 of Bank House buried 31-5-1854.
Louisa Hargreaves age 77 of 53 Porchester Terrace, London, buried 13-1-1894.
They are not the same Hargreaves's family buried in St James.
There were several prominent Hargreaves family's in Accrington back then.
Retlaw.
Somehow I doubt that Louisa had parents who were separated by 32 years as your post suggests! I know only too well that there were at least two main families of Hargreaves in the Accrington area, however, take a look at the attached copy of the Thomas Hargreaves pedigreee [copied from Josie R Green's excellent book on Oak Hill] and you can clearly see his son Robert married to Louise and their daughter Louisa. The stain glass windows in Christchurch for St Paul and Appollos were dedicated by Louisa in memory of her Parents Robert and Louise. And yes, if you look at the attached pedigree you can see they are very definitley part of the same Hargreaves dynasty. Robert Hargreaves was Benjamin Hargreaves younger brother and Louisa his niece. The same John Hargreaves who married Grace and are mentioned in the newspaper clipping that you disparage as mere chip wrapper, are outlined in black and you will notice the date of death for Grace is the same as on the Hargreaves Pedigree.

You really should get your facts right Retlaw. I wonder how many others you have bullied into submission to accepting your incorrect data. Not this one

Unfortunately due to the MS Word constraints on 100 Kbs on this forum I am unable to post the Hargreaves Pedigree right now as it 545 KBS. However, I will change it into a JPEG image and post it tomorrow.

Last edited by Neil; 18-08-2011 at 01:18. Reason: fix quote
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web