Thread: Mary's Music
View Single Post
Old 25-10-2004, 06:58   #39
Darby

Re: Mary's Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
Just seen this photo by A-Bob, is this showing the old entrance to Morts? i.e. next to what was Africa's
That use to be THE CROWN (a Sam Smiths - Tadcaster ales house), locally known as the BIG CROWN as there was another Crown in town somewhere!

Joe Morts was further to the left as you look at the picture, and upstairs. As far as I can remember, Mary's Music started down stairs from the Dancehall (Joe Morts), but soon got too crowded and so they moved onto Whalley Road. That must have been about 1958 or so. The Morts went into disrepair and at one stage had to be "Propped" up with a hugh wooden structure as it was in danger of collapsing (too much Rock & Roll). I don't know what happened to Joe and Mary Mortimer...perhaps they finally moved away, as Mary always wanted to be next to the sea. I think Joe became a Conservative Councillor later during the 60's..I remember talking to him and Mary "up" the Con Club in Cannon Street, about 1968. I never saw him or Mary again after that.

Joe Morts Dancehall was famous for Rock & Roll, Teddy Boys and big fights. Some even with razors, and the Teds would come from Bury, Burnley, Preston and even as far afield as Bolton! Drinking was done at either the Big Crown, Imperial or even the Spread Eagle. The landlord at the Big Crown (1959-1963) was called Bernard, and wouldn't stand any nonsense from the Teds. I frequented the Big Crown regularly when I got home from sea (was in the Royal Navy in those days :engsmil: :engsmil: ), and got so regular that I was allowed to stay late and drink after time!!....a crime in those days....but only if you got caught!!!!

I can honestly say that I only once went "up" Joe Morts, and then didn't stay long (was on a Sunday Afternoon and the pubs had just shut). My missus went up there regularly...that is until she met me .

Knowlemere St. was the place I frequented until I joined the Navy, after that it was more the Empire up Ossy, and all the local pubs!!

Ahh a misspent youth..............
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote