View Single Post
Old 20-09-2011, 19:35   #177
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Parliamentary Boundary Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
We need to go further than telling the Boundary Commission that we have a distinct community which should remain apart of one constituency.

We can suggest which wards we want to add to Hyndburn to make it within 5% of 75,000 electors. By doing that though we have to take in wards from other proposed constituencies which has a knock on effect across the region.

I think we need to go even further and draw up alternative plans for not just our area but the surrounding areas so that it all fits numbers wise. I do think we stand a better chance if we do this rather than just telling the Commission what we want and then leaving it up to them to redistribute everything, as obviously people from other areas may then object to the way they do it.

I think it's important to not start getting political about it either. The Commission are independent; the re-drawing happens every so often to make things fairer and this time it's also partly a result of the expenses scandal.

In my opinion it's crucial that the local parties work together on this, along with their colleagues from elsewhere in the region. If we can get all parties to push in the same direction it will be a far more powerful argument.
This could be where your life's been heading. Your destiny.

A political graduate, working in Westminster, keen interest in local government, and strong ties to your home town in Hyndburn.

Use your knowledge to help this area keeps it's own M.P.

What's heartening, despite the odd spat, is that there's more or less political unity opposing this proposal that our constituency disappears.

Tell people how best to make their views known, and what to do to help them carry more weight.

We're relying on your help.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote