Thread: The Mayor
View Single Post
Old 26-09-2011, 23:05   #7
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: The Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I know its antiquated, but we still have it, and it is used for politcal manouvering. We used to have kids down the mines but we improved that position,so lets improve the position of mayor, lets have a leading citizen operating on a voluntary basis, campaigning for better facilities for people in the borough. Forget the opening of this and that and cutting ribbons and kissing babies, lets support better hospital facilities, better bus services, a cleaner and greener borough, council services have declined right accross the board, lets get those back up to a decent standard. A mayor with non political affiliations could do that as no party line had to be thought about. I know the position of mayor should be a non political role, but certain appointments in the past have proved it is used to support the balance of power.

right I'm of for a lie down again
I don't remember hearing much of the role of mayors in improving workers' rights, and stopping the poor little kiddies from working down the pits.

Don't get too worked up.

I also believe having an unelected head of state is antiquated too.

I also do away with them, as well as mayors, and have another newspaper competition to replace them with some nice old biddy, who'd spent their life doing unsung good.

Last edited by garinda; 26-09-2011 at 23:08.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote