Thread: The Tories
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 12:08   #624
mobertol
God Member

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think your Grandmother's maxims were the by-words of my growing up.....'never cut what can be untied'......'re-use everything'(rag rugs were made from old clothes, vests were used as polishing cloths, or floor cloths....leftover food was made into stews casseroles, puddings, orange peel was used to light the fire.......potato peelings went into the pig bin)
These are the habits that I grew up with and cannot discard.......anyway, they make sound sense.
Same here -I never throw away a crust of bread -make it into breadcrumbs, croutons and all manner of things! You wouldn't believe my mum was her mother's daughter as she doesn't have the same mentality -i've been trying to teach her over the last few years and now when she's about to whizz something she thinks twice and can be heard to say "our Dianne'd make a meal out of this!"
I also comb the hedgerows
-I believe a Tory politician, in the not to distant past, once suggested the unemployed do this....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote