View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 20:42   #57
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: Weekly Bin Collections

Tealeaf is right and so is Neil.

When recycling came in we shifted half the staff from one to t'other. Basic math.

Defra gave HBC (Labour in fact in that one year we had in in 2002) £1m to buy wagons and some 50,000 bins, 35,000 boxes and all the sacks. It cost a bit extra and I remember in the Labour Group being worried about the chips in the boxes and bins. They could only record addresses to help manage collection. The opposition told the press something else, that the Council were spying on people. Annoying as it wasnt true but rather than question us, some loony's just ran off into right field thinking they were savingthe planet from big brother. Feel like I feel like I am writing memoirs but we were worried about these people!

There was extra cost which has diminished and that was the inefficiency you get in the adjustment period of the 40% recycling and how to manage collection, storage and sell on.

Neil is also right in that the media will say HBC Council Tax rise would be 10% however 85% of Council Tax is LCC Police and Fire so the actual overal rise would be £25 on £1200 or so.

Last edited by g jones; 03-10-2011 at 20:51.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote