View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 07:30   #8
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington's new bus station "to be"

The debate over the bus station was a farce. The former Council Leader stifled the debate eventually leading to a withdrawal of bus companies from the TC Regeneration Board. The newspapers ran headlines and facts were lost in the fog about the 'Council leader refuses to relocate bus station' and complaints about his shop ownership on Peel Street savaged any reasonable discussion.

Peter Britcliffe wanted Peel Street even though there had been a fatality and no-one else wanted it except a few shoppers who used buses and liked thheveryone proximity.

The engineers, the bus companies, LCC, other bus users and regular contributors and knowledgeable local people did not want Peel Street.

Two sites were drawn up. I was in the minority in wanting Abbey Street at junction with Infant street because of it's scope for access, regeneration. I didn't think it ideal and the case for Crawshaw street, the other shortlisted site accepted by all, including other Tories except PeterB who was silenced now after a Standards Board complaint.

The Council never fully endorsed this and as part landowners effectively blocked progress.

The architects of the bid, LCC and BwD persued the bid and bouyed by an incoming Council willing to make progress the revised scheme has picked up support bar minor contentions.

Crawshaw Street is not big enough and moves the TC further north. The same LCC engineers wrongly criticised for having no common sense and no idea but who successfully reengineered Whitebirk roundabout and to a lesser degree were successful with Eagle Street following Tescos planning application have said they can manage the tight bus station site. We have to have accept they have done a good job on our behalf so far and deserve credit not destructive criticism.

The land deals have now been sorted. the new progressive Council is ensuring that it is part of a bigger picture and done with all involved having an opportunity to contribute to a thoughtful process at the newly created Public Transport Forum (open to all).

Crawshaw Street has advantages. Nearest to TC. Near train station for complementary patronage, an argument I don't support, and good access to road network. There is no other site.

The new Council has already stated the Blackburn Road is a priority with the reciept from Tesco's and that opening access in front of the town hall will now be looked into with the view that it will be opened up both ways.

As for Peel Street and the Market Hall my view is clear. It will get more trade if we can allow adjacent car parking for people wishing to use an easier (and better) alternative to supermarkets.

This whole debate forgets that in 2001 PeterB made the catrostrophic decision to do away with the old market and build that uneccesssary monstrosity which led the bus lane for Blackburn buses being built on for the new stalls. That decision alone has determined where we are now, not where we would like to be.

PS as a newly elected Councillor I totally opposed that development and said so!!

Sent from mobile

Last edited by g jones; 05-10-2011 at 07:35.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote