View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 16:09   #31
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Accrington's new bus station "to be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well, people don't only shop in the market do they? Some walk to through the Arndale as well as shopping in the market. I'm just saying (playing devil's advocate), I can imagine a scenario when people get off the bus at the market and then walk through the Arndale or along Blackburn Road towards the bus station. I know that would involve carrying shopping but then again it involves carrying shopping if you shop in the Arndale then walk to the bus station now.

I wonder what calculations/questionaires/consultations they've done on that sort of thing?

I have to be honest and say that I'm neither for or against the move at the moment. Partly because I rarely use the bus (I do sometimes but it's the exception rather than the rule) and partly because I don't think I've got enough information to decide on.

I didn't like it when they cut it in half as I thought that made it more dangerous so I can see the need to making a bigger bus station. I like the idea of a car park near the market as well as that could benefit some people. But, I can also see how the market users are more often than not the ones who need the access to a bus to be close by.
I was agreeing with what you were saying. That the site of a bus station could be anywhere in theory.

There's no bus station in London, the place with the U.K.'s heaviest bus usage. All the depots are spread out in suburbia.

I was just pointing out that it's not just a matter of people alighting from buses, it's the fact there'll be queues of people waiting to depart from the town centre too.

Therefore why move it from it's present site?

Need more room?

Plenty of room where the empty market stalls now stand.

Personally I can see no positives in relocating the bus station to a totally different site...yet again.

I can see negatives.

Mainly cost, and the fact that struggling, forgotten parts of the town, such as the areas accessed via the Arcade, will become even more isolated if the bus station's moved further away from the town centre.

To be honest the whole idea sounds like some whiny little boys wanting to trade in their old toy cars and garage for a brand new shiny one, and beggar the cost, because they aren't paying.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web