Thread: Ed Miliband
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 22:43   #72
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: Ed Miliband

Current opinion polls are 51-49 and the pro EU seem to win on the clapometer at Thursdays QT when the issue was raised and discussed.

I wouldn't mind a referendum except for the fact that I am where the public are, split on the issue.

The political reality is the pro EU will win. Two reasons Cameron, Clegg, Miliband and Co believe it's right. Secondly the sensible anti EU arguments may well be hijacked by extremists over the course of the long debate. The anti EU lobby is unfortunately blessed by people with odd and nasel gasing views and a good anti EU campaign would need to park these people in a dark room. The Mail and the Express won't appeal to floating or unsure voters with it's hard line tone.

Like AV which had the sure to vote for out in front comfortably at the starting gun, the silent majority will make a late and safe decision delivering the pro EU a comfortable victory choosing concerns over jobs and support for a leaders consensus rather than fearful arguments quite possibly led by people considered eccentric.

What will damage the anti will be the unravelling of the Human Rights Act argument which hasn't really occurred but in short will portray anti EU campaigners as out of touch with the facts. The Pro EU campaigners have never stood their corner but if they did ...

Still not sure which way I would vote.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote