View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 21:06   #8
Pudwoppa

Re: Accrington E Jriley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Would seem they are in Ireland now.
They aren't related in any way shape or form to the Accrington firm. Riley is obviously a common name in Ireland, and the liquidation of the old firm seems to afford them use of that name without being sued.

Some of the old E J Riley craftsmen do continue to work their craft in Accrington - a company called Sovereign Leisure. From what I understand they now refurbish old tables and resell them.

Bob - there are a few different break records that Riley used in their advertising. The billiard one was George Gray who they used several times as he broke new records (see attached). They also released a signature cue - see it here.

They also used Joe Davis for his record breaking snooker breaks. Again, they used several different scores as he broke records (147 remained elusive for many years) and released signature cues for each record - see them here. Also, you can read about Joe's record breaks here.

I have quite a few snippets of Riley info - I'll try and post them when I get time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gray v Nelson at Blackpool, on Riley "Standard" table.jpg (119.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Joe Davis 146 Snooker Cue.jpg (75.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Pudwoppa; 08-10-2011 at 21:09.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote