View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 11:02   #26
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: How'd you vote in an E.U. referendum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Its also the best chance of sorting other issues such as fishing. There is a real issue waste and bureaucracy and Britains bloated confribution. Issue of EU laws is swings and roundabouts.

I have always previously been anti-European but the world is getting bigger than the UK.
Same old same old that Bernard came out with - it's better to stay in because we can somehow "reform" the waste and bureaucracy of the EU. Absolutely no chance. The EU's own auditors have refused to sign off its accounts for 14 successive years because the whole organisation is so terminally corrupt. Do you think Britain on its own can make the slightest difference?

As for reforming our "bloated contribution" you must be joking. Whatever you think of Thatcher, one good thing she did was to "handbag" the EU's leaders into giving us our rebate. Blair has already given part of that away and for absolutely nothing in return. The EU mandarins are already talking about turning the screws on us even more.

I think though, that the final straw will be the imposition of the EU's directive on us to pay a full range of benefits to any EU citizen who pitches up, regardless of whether they have any connection with this country or whether they have paid anything into the system. This is so outrageously unfair, that all the scare stories from the political great and good, the CBI and anyone else will not make one iota of difference. All the more so, when, as Gary points out Turkey and other Eastern European countries join.

Unfortunately, it won't come to a referendum because those at the top in the Labour, Tory and LibDem parties don't share your confidence in the probability of a "stay in" vote. In fact, they're scared to death of the people actually having a say in the matter.

Personally, I won't be voting for any party that supports our continued membership of the EU.