View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 20:39   #30
Eric
God Member

Re: How'd you vote in an E.U. referendum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We should be worrying about what will happen in the next 140 years, and the state Britain will be in for our children, and grandchildren.

Bernard accuses those who are anti-E.U. of being 'insular'.

That certainly can't be said of the ever expanding politcal entity that the E.U. has become.

Will Britain be issued with similar crippling fines, if we don't provide generous social benefits on arrival, for the seventy million Turks who'll inevitably soon become members of the E.U., or the millions who live in dirt poor countries, once part of that other unworkable body, the U.S.S.R.?

None of whom will have paid one penny into this country's pot.
How does one avoid being "insular" when one lives on an island.

Come to think of it, I've never thought of the British as being "European", even when I lived there. Living on an island, surrounded by that big, beautiful moat, makes the folks there different from those on the mainland.

I can't vote because I'm a Canadian citizen, and, surprisingly, under 18 However, if I could, I would vote "out".

It will be interesting to see if any of the major parties makes membership in the EU (either "in" or "out") a plank in their official platform. I very much doubt it, except maybe for the Lib-Dems, and the way they are going it seems as if "major" is not an appropriate adjective for the party.

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving, eh.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote