View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 14:38   #60
kestrelx
Senior Member+

Re: OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE

Solve a Mystery? - for years I put to rest a mystery and only since talking with you folks about these old houses has that mystery resurfaced...back in the 70's used to fish for trout over various streams and reservoirs around the area.Warmden being one res(now drained) one day on the way back with out a catch on that particular day,walked over that hill and field that leads down to those trees between Owl Hall and Plantation Mill.I don't now if you have noticed there are two small ponds in the field near a wall.They are tiny like 20 feet by 10 feet approx.One which is surrounded by a metal fence and has brick sides.

Anyway I hadn't caught anything on this day but stopped at that brick pond and just got the idea to drop a worm in.Almost straight away a fair big trout grabbed my bait and within minutues was landed.It was just under a pound.Anyway I bagged it and tried again but nothing.

I think it was the next day came back with a few other lads and we caught two really big trout,I think we caught one more and then nothing else ever from that pond.

I don't know if it's still there but it seems a mystery to me how those trout got into that pond as there was no inlet stream?Any trout in Accrington streams came from the Reservoirs were they were stocked up by fishing clubs.

Now it has occured to me reading your posts that this pond could have been a stock pond for Plantation House and the few fish we caught were left overs from the day when the house was still there and a fish supply required?Can anyone shed some light on this matter?Cheers.

kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote