Thread: Pal's Gals
View Single Post
Old 24-10-2011, 18:13   #3
Eric
God Member

Re: Pal's Gals

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Not particularly the Accrington Pals ( more Chorley Pals), but last year we had a lecture, with the History Society, from Steve Williams entitled 'A Mother's Tears' which was a mother's feelings and fears for her son as he was serving with the army, linked with correspondence between them.

Don't know whether he would answer any questions as appears to make a small income out of his lectures, but this is him anyway:

http://www.stevewilliamstalks.co.uk/...HURE-2011-.pdf

My gran worked at Howard & Bulloughs during this war, but have no stories to relate. Why didn't we ask them more, eh ?
I know what you mean about not asking them ... didn't seem important at the time, did it? I know my gran, Sarah "Sally" Ashton, worked making munitions in the War; my mum told me that. But that's all I know ... she died in '62 after working in the mills most of her life. She had to; my granddad could'nt work because of wounds he picked up in '17. What amazing people they were ... no wimping, no complaining; they just got going and did what had to be done. Not much of that going on these days is there?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote