View Single Post
Old 26-10-2011, 15:23   #26
claytonx
Rest in Peace

Re: Making sculptures to go on the Coppice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnart View Post
Thankyou all for your great replies ☺

MargaretR - Thanks for the links, they are really useful, ☺ already in my research folder ☺

Tealeaf - Don’t worry, I won’t be sticking any huge awful abstract style sculpture up there, that would ruin it! My sculptures are only 1ft high at the moment ☺
They will not be an eyesore I assure you, you’ll have to find them 1st :P They are made of wood from the coppice (fallen trees, I will only use fallen trees, I won’t cut anything down ☺ ) to make them blend into the landscape better.

I will put a picture up soon of what they will look like, but the best description I can give of them/how I make them at the moment is that they are long slithers of wood, layered on top of each other. Then a template laid on the side to cut around (currently of my grandma and grandad until I get more photos of people on the coppice) so what is left is a shilouette.

I am making it out of fallen wood because I’d like to give the wood a last spark of life (seen as it is going to rot anyway) in the form of a memory sculpture, that will eventually rot back into the coppice.
I am aiming to make them look as natural as possible, only wood, no metal/plastic etc. Although I have considered using Accrington brick but that would be hard to use and just complicate things…

Garinda - I agree, it is very very windy up there, which is taken into account of my sculptures. I may place a block of wood underneath the sculptures (attached to them), then place that block in the ground and cover it up with leaves/debris , so it looks like it ‘grew’ there, and not just been plonked there. This will also act as an anchor and stop it from being blown over (which I doubt it will be, as it is only 1 ft high)

I’m studying at the university of Cumbria (I know, a failing uni ☹ My course is one that has been run out since my 1st year, which means there is only us 3rd years here, they haven’t taken any other students onto the course. And half our tutors have gone ☹ anyway, that’s another story)

Accyman - I’d probably see off someone who wanted to put a spaceship up there too :S what were they thinking :S

Claytonx - That sounds interesting, do you have any more information on that? Or know if any photographs were taken of it?

Katex - I have considered that ☺ I have got plans on what types of scenes my sculptures could be in, including a little boy playing on the roof (my dad when he was younger! 40years ago :P )Thanks for your scenes though, very useful. Oh and yes I am female ☺
I could not remember the exact date so i emailed Accy library and they came back with all the information which i stored on the laptop which broke down was repaired at some cost and everything was deleted,so i would suggest go into the library and enquire.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote