View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 10:39   #165
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
No, and I still haven't heard a credible solution to actually getting rid of the drunks as opposed to simply moving them on. The intention was to move them away from the Market Hall and that has worked. It isn't ideal but neither is a urine-soaked bench and whilst I don't particularly either support or decry the removal it was an attempt to address a problem. Sometimes solutions work, sometimes they don't but either way someone somewhere will always be offended.

The benches will be going back at some point as I have said at least twice in this thread. In the meantime, all the surrounding towns have benches and car parks where you have to pay instead of the free facilities in Accrington. Weigh up which is the bigger injustice.

I remember being previously criticised for not recognising the problem of drunks in the town centre and yet now the council has attempted to remedy the problem this also is a failing.

Come up with a credible solution, write to me and I will put it to the council.
So, if they're 'going back' at some stage, what on earth has been achieved?

Other than not providing a welcome place to rest for the many non-drinker who use them, do you think their removal will mean the drinkers will never return, because their memories aren't too good?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote