Thread: Trick or Treat.
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:30   #129
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: Trick or Treat.

The Americans are welcome to Halloween, trick or treat, pumpkins and all. Who'd ever seen many pumpkins over here till this all kicked off? At least in Guy Fawkes we are remembering a piece of our own history but Halloween has overtaken it commercially as there's so much tat to sell - a different costume every year, plastic pumpkins for colecting loot, etc etc. Personally I won't go near the front door on Oct 31 whoever's there.

Surely by now we should be abandoning religion and the superstitions thatgo with it but no they grow stronger all the time. Children out for trick or treat have little idea what is really behind it and though it may be harmless fun it sows the seeds for later beliefs. Garinda, Mobertol, Jaysay I agree entirely with your thoughts on religion which is why my atheism grows stronger all the time. And I'll soon have the nightmare of Christmas to look forward to!

Margaret you are right in that Halloween was originally a pagan festival with no mention of witches etc. I do find the pagan festivals interesting from a purely historical/ sociological/anthropological perspective. Sorry that may sound a little pompous but I hope you know what I mean. Perhaps we should be teaching children about the real background to the festival than all this knee jerk pseudo American cr*p.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote