View Single Post
Old 22-11-2011, 16:38   #30
Acrylic-bob
God Member

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Errm, actually, what they say about oriental men is, in my experience, pretty wide of the mark.

However I do not propose to be drawn any further down that particular path.

Did anyone see BBC Breakfast this morning? There was an item in which local traders were complaining about the German Christmas Market which has been running in Birmingham, in the city centre for some years. Apparently it brings in about £90 Million every year and it is visited by tens of thousands of people. How? Simple. It is the biggest outside Germany.

And I compared this to Accrington Town centre at Christmas. A few Rockets and a couple of strings of coloured bulbs. And I thought, is it any wonder the town centre is going down the crapper. The shops are selling the same stuff they sell all year long. The shopkeepers are, for the most part, surly, unhelpful and slovenly. Their premises, and the decoration of them, leave such a lot to be desired.

The Council, when it comes to the Markets and the town Centre are, if this can be imagined, even more clueless. They would much rather throw the limited budget they are granted each year away on mind numbing drivel such as this...

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa..._Framework.pdf

They have no understanding or appreciation of Art and the uses to which it can be put - They employ Gayle as their ARTS CZAR, enough said.

As it stands at the moment the Town Centre looks more like some industrial backwater in communist controlled eastern Europe.

It needs smartening up. It needs to be made user friendly. I would strongly advocate free Prozac for market traders (compulsory). It needs good and broadly circulated advertising. It needs events. Specatacular Events. All year round. The whole town needs this.

And it also needs most of the Progress Towards Equality Framework, PC, Inclusive, diversity babble dragging to the nearest tip and dumping.

Oh dear, I seem to be on a rant. Sorry!