View Single Post
Old 22-11-2011, 20:24   #42
mobertol
God Member

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The market hall is a wonderful building....but it has had the heart ripped out of it.

It has no atmosphere. None of the hustle and bustle of days gone by. None of the anticipation of the lovely stalls selling the kind of stuff that we all bought...instead this has been replaced by a sterile, lacklustre area...that truly doesn't know what it is supposed to be.
Is it a centre for trade, or is it a place where performing arts happen...or is it place where exhibitions can be held???
I don't like it much now. No character despite its heritage and its grandeur. It is sort of like tinsel that has been left up too long after Christmas.
Maybe the place should have been bulldozed........at least it would have given space for the new bus station that is being clamoured for.
Take a look at this Margaret for an idea of what i mean....it's empty of folk for the filming , but I can assure you it is the hub of the city and a hive of activity....

Panoramic photograph of Indoor Market, Oxford

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote