View Single Post
Old 24-11-2011, 13:49   #159
jedimaster
Senior Member+

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Yes, it's already been tried and it's like pulling teeth trying to get people involved.

First of all we tried to get shops and stall holders signed up to taking part. They had to dress as Victorians. Despite there being a couple of 100 shops/stalls in the town centre, we got 23 participating. The stall holders in the market were some of the most resistant to the idea. This was despite us providing costumes that people could borrow.

Then when you've got the shops interested, you've got to get the public in to make it worth everyone's while. The only way to do this is to advertise - and this costs money which the council really doesn't have.

I'm not doing it again because although there was some interest last year, it really doesn't warrant the man hours again. Plus, it didn't help that people ridiculed it and made even the most supportive falter.

So I speak from an informed position on this one.

i do agree it aint easy to organise an event such as this however it CAN be done. for example the may bank holiday victorian extravaganza in llandudno is always a raving success. and the way they keep costs down is by INVOLVING the local community in it's planning and preparation, using volunteers to do the advertising, by involving the local press nothing better than a news story to create free advertising.

it IS possible!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote