Old 24-11-2011, 14:57   #174
jedimaster
Senior Member+

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kelly View Post
Ok -

Few questions to answer

Cashman/Garinda - I own a buisness in the town i have rates and other bills to pay to
to the council so its irrelevant where i live as i am still paying taxes to Hyndburn BC
for my buisness.

Cashman - You are somewhat obsessed with the budget for this event, And the constant well
you want more budget Leon but who will pay for it, I shall explain the budget is set by the
controlling council the year before who are also dictated to by the goverment to what they
deem fit to be spending on public events, This events budget is not high but i do think that if
we receive an increase next year i am pretty sure your council tax wont go up because
of the xmas lights.

However so you dont have sleepless nights....... I am already working on outside
sponsorship, however as we are in a recession still many buisnesses do not want to sponsor
an event as they would rather keep the money this year alone i asked , Greyhound Ford, Thwaites,
Hollands Pies, Coors, VK, Tesco, Asda and none of them wanted to sponsor the event, the bee radio
also asked its local suppliers as well and they all said NO THANKS.....

So we did try our best, as i explained before the reason why i asked for an increased budget next
year was because so many people that i worked with the event on, i asked for favours to get the event
to the standard it was at, Yes people will say Dance Act not very christmas and where was the carols, We broke the
crowd attendences for the lights switch on, The event went down amazing we had no incidents at all, and considering
Darwens been slated for their lights switch on by their own community, I do feel at times that certain members
on this forum are very good at firing negatives or standing on their soap boxes but they never seem to
be doing anything for the town.

Re my experience in running an event which has been questioned, For 14 years i was in the music industry, and also 7 of
them years i ran a successful events company, so i along with Kerry at Hyndburn Leisure can run big events however as
we have already pointed out a bigger event would require a bigger budger.

The market traders were asked if they wanted to stay open and they didnt they closed at 5pm, so while i agree that lets
by local and lets do a christmas fayre which is something to look at, I feel that the market traders may just go Nah were
not interested, and thats what people need to understand that you cant force them to open, and you need a good 75 % of them
to agree otherwise it wont look good just a few stalls open.

With regards to the talent we had on stage this year Kelly Llorenna was never going to be everyones cup of tea, however
she did it as a favour to me as we know each other, and the band Boomin who opened the show have now been signed to
support Mcfly, Overall there were things on the day that i thought after we should of done, however the feedback i have
had on the event has been brilliant.

My point for coming on here was to listen if you have any ideas or feedback lets hear them, But i am all for freedom
of speech however silly remarks like well he lives in blackburn or people taking swipes when i have answered questions,
just adds to the reason why at times people have such a negative view of accrington, I do feel that certain members of this
forum do have their own agenda and also always want to do anything down, Yes there are improvements i would like to make
on next year, However 1st year NO INCIDENTS, BROKE ATTENDENCE RECORD, Thats not a bad start.....

as i said before we DON'T need existing traders for a xmas market we advertise to local community/charities/groups/residents to see if THEY would like to hold a stall! by the way, i'd be happy to get involved
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote