View Single Post
Old 24-11-2011, 16:33   #209
Gayle
God Member

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As I said at the time, I congratulate Leon for making a success of what he was asked to do.

I do question those who make the decisions, if a bouncy pop show is what would make all sections of the borough want to attend a publicly financed Christmas event.

From what people have posted, it seems not.
Well, of course it wouldn't get all sections of the borough attending - what would?

If you do a brass band concert, people who like brass bands go along. If you do folk music, people who like folk music go along. There really isn't one size fits all.

I guess the best you can hope for is a variety over the course of a year.

Also, and I ask this because I genuinely don't know the answer - who should a Christmas light switch on be aimed at?

The town was busy with young people but were they buying? Perhaps not! However, it got a lot of publicity in the local papers. It also was deemed a success so is more likely to be replicated and the council to continue putting money in. If it was geared more towards people who had spending power then would it have got enough people in and would it have been deemed a success?

I ask all this because I don't know what the answer is. It's one thing having an opinion about what you would like to see but you also have to consider the target market when you've decided what the target market is.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 24-11-2011 at 16:40.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote