View Single Post
Old 26-11-2011, 11:48   #1391
gynn
Senior Member+

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Just as a side issue, but certainly as a matter of interest, how doe,'s the Council go about appointing people to various roles? Does Claire Pritchard, for example, have expertise in running markets or business?..I assume she must have some knowledge in that kind of area to be offered that kind of appointment, but i've no idea, or are these appointments made Carte Blanche?
On Election night, the Leader of the party that wins control of the Council is presented with a group of 18-20 individuals who have all sought election for different reasons. Some genuinely feel they can make a contribution to the wellbeing of the Borough. some see it as an opportunity to weald some power. And some, frankly have been railroaded into it against their better judgement.

Like the kids in the playground choosing football teams, the Leader picks a cabinet of the better players, and the youngest, weakest and the ones with two left feet are left till the end (or in Council terms, become backbenchers).

The better players are then given cabinet portfolios on the basis of intelligence, closeness to the Leader, and potential for causing minimum damage.

So the Cabinet member with responsibility for Markets is likely to have little or no experience of running markets. I don't know if that applies to the present incumbent, but that is certainly how it worked in my day.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote