View Single Post
Old 26-11-2011, 14:35   #1398
Taggy
Senior Member+

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
They should seek advice and guidance from officers (in this case the Markets Manager), who are professionally experienced in running markets.

One of the downsides of Cabinet government is that it makes the Councillor the mouthpiece of the Council, rather than the Chief Officer. In the past, it would be the Officer answering the questions about where the crib should be placed, or when the market should be opened. It gave gravitas to the Council's position, because it always appeared that the situation was under the control of someone who knew what they were talking about, and was above petty party politics.

Too often when the Councillor speaks, their shortcomings are too well known by the listener, and nowadays, the officers are faceless backroom boys and girls.

Who, for example knows the name of the Market Manager? Or his boss the Town Centre Manager? Or HIS boss the Head of Regeneration and Housing Services? Or, for that matter, the Chief Executive?

In days gone by, they would be household names in the local press.
As far as i'm aware i believe it was Claire Pritchard's decision that the Santa's Grotto had to be placed in this location, the Market Superintendent i believe was happy for it to be accommodated elsewhere, as were other stallholders.

The Crib i believe will still be outside as per usual.

Surely "Historically" though didn't Santa's Groto always used to be in the Arndale Centre? At least there it wouldn't interfere with anyone's business, but i dare say the owners of the centre would want the going rent for it.

Be interesting to see how popular the Grotto actually is, because looking at its varied opening hours printed in the Observer it seems to be operating for half a day on Saturday's with a nice long break inbetween to accommodate the Councellors lunch break!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote