View Single Post
Old 26-11-2011, 14:38   #41
mobertol
God Member

Re: Where's the line for Comedians

I like a laugh as much as most people but can't understand the inversion there seems to have been from knocking the big institutions to focussing on the more vulnerable in society.

The first real "modern" commedian for me was Dave Allen - back in the 70's- simple recogniseable style and a laid back delivery - he represented the average man on the street.

He was a religious skeptic or "what you might call a practising atheist" (his own words) Religion became an important subject for his humour, especially the Roman Catholic Church and the Church of England, generally mocking church customs and rituals rather than beliefs.

He said that power and the hierarchy of everything in life was what bothered him. People, whoever they might be, whether from the government, the police, nuns and priests or just the anonymous the man on the door ....

He was a true cynic and that to me is what real commedy is about....

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you".

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote