View Single Post
Old 16-12-2011, 00:21   #21
jedimaster
Senior Member+

Re: Where will this madness end?

in all fairness I am not of a religious nature (to put it mildly!) and as such do not celebrate christmas as such but rather the midwinter festival and yuletide. Although I do not wish the religious rubbish of ANY denomination rammed down my child's throat I enter into the spirit of the time of year with santa claus and trees and decorations etc.. I also understand that as a multicultural society (whether I believe it should be or not) we must endeavour to accept religious differences Ie. you have your beliefs and I have mine and our forefathers fought and died for us to have that luxury. As such schools must be seen to include all faiths into the festivities of this time of year and as such we now have multicultural dramatic interpretations to watch instead of the more traditional. What I do not agree with is the forceful way in which our children are led, and in some cases forced to believe that the fairy tale/myth/legend (whichever you wish to call it) that is the nativity and other stories (ergo the bible) is a true historical fact even though it defies all logic and scientific discoveries of the last 2011 years.I do not mind it being taught that this is what SOME people believe along with other faiths, after all we must be tolerant to all cultures and beliefs. So yes why not celebrate midwinter and yuletide in a multicultural way so that everyone can enjoy it and not just those of (and I use the term loosely) "christian" beliefs that appear most prominent at this time of year.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote