View Single Post
Old 21-12-2011, 20:08   #77
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Where will this madness end?

Well Jedi, it was the same when I was at school probably a lot longer ago than when you were at school....and yes they were Christian assemblies......but you didn't have to attend them. I remember one of my classmates absented herself from them because as she explained to the head teacher...she didn't believe in all that religion stuff.
She chose to spend assembly time in our library.....it was her choice, which was respected. I do not recall any other pupils doing this.
Assemblies were for delivering school news, as well as giving a religious start to the day.
I am pretty sure I was told that religion was the one and only subject which had(by law) to be taught in schools. I don't know if this was decreed by Henry Tudor - he did have a big hand in the religion of this country.

These days it is different, schools have different assemblies and have them less frequently.

You are right when you say that people of many races now inhabit this country....this does not automatically make us multicultural....many of these cultures do not integrate fully into the communities where they live.....this is their choice.

I certainly do not want to celebrate Eid, Diwali or Hannukah........this is my choice...but I do not begrudge those who do wish to celebrate these religious festivals from doing so.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote