View Single Post
Old 21-12-2011, 20:24   #80
jedimaster
Senior Member+

Re: Where will this madness end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well Jedi, it was the same when I was at school probably a lot longer ago than when you were at school....and yes they were Christian assemblies......but you didn't have to attend them. I remember one of my classmates absented herself from them because as she explained to the head teacher...she didn't believe in all that religion stuff.
She chose to spend assembly time in our library.....it was her choice, which was respected. I do not recall any other pupils doing this.
Assemblies were for delivering school news, as well as giving a religious start to the day.
I am pretty sure I was told that religion was the one and only subject which had(by law) to be taught in schools. I don't know if this was decreed by Henry Tudor - he did have a big hand in the religion of this country.

These days it is different, schools have different assemblies and have them less frequently.

You are right when you say that people of many races now inhabit this country....this does not automatically make us multicultural....many of these cultures do not integrate fully into the communities where they live.....this is their choice.

I certainly do not want to celebrate Eid, Diwali or Hannukah........this is my choice...but I do not begrudge those who do wish to celebrate these religious festivals from doing so.
I quite agree i do not begrudge anyone believing what they wish.

There was no choice in my school, you either stood through the very religious assembly or you were excluded if you had a parental request to do so. The girl in question still had to stand there she was just made to stand at the back of the hall.

this was only a single incident, I can also recall my daughter coming home from school having been taught about the nativity as if it was the truth and the ONLY truth and not in my eyes what SOME people belive. Christianity is always taught in schools as the foremost religion and everything else as THE OTHER RELIGIONS. religion should be taught objectively and with EQUAL emphasis or not at all! As i have said before not even the various christian sects can agree on what they believe so how can it be taught as the truth.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote