View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 22:29   #147
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Parkinson's Disease Society new local group

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
good to see this is still going Rindy

im not sure if its all your doing but im sure you have something in keeping this what i bet is an appreciated opportunity for sufferers to chat about their concerns and swap information.
Thanks.

No, I'm just the one of four on the committee, plus a whole host of other people who turn up and help, and who make our meetings function.

Saturday's meeting is our post-Christmas party, and also the third year anniversary since we were founded as a group. When it was started by Cllr. Wendy Dwyer, who's still our chairwoman.

Nationally our group is always held up as a great success story, by our parent charity, Parkinson's UK.

We're the newest support group, as well as having one of the largest memberships, at well over a hundred people.

I just feel privileged that I can help, and do something useful.

Hopefully the Lancashire Telegraph will be doing another article about us this week, and another in April for Parkinson's Awareness Week. Featuring the very harrowing tale of one of our members, whose Parkinson's he thinks was brought on after being attacked on his farm in Zimbabwe, and very nearly killed, before managing to escape, with nothing but the clothes on his back.

Last edited by garinda; 03-01-2012 at 22:32.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote