View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41   #17
mobertol
God Member

Re: fourpence to the future

For those of us with family spread all over the globe, internet is a godsend. You can keep in touch regularly and it doesn't cost too much. You can share almost anything with friends and family on Facebook these days and have video telephone links free.

I remember back in the early 70's, when my Aunt and family emigrated to Canada, phone calls were kept for special occasions -Xmas mainly and you had to book the call. We used to tape and send messages on an early tape recorder - hope the tapes have been destroyed as there were some very embarassing things they made me do such as sing songs and play my clarinet (which I loathed)!

I do hate mobile phones though as they make people very ignorant -they walk around in their own little bubble talking on them anywhere and everywhere. They also use them while driving which is dangerous. You have absolutely no privacy if you carry a mobile phone - they can pick up wherever you've been so you can't get away with anything anymore. No-one ever rings me on mine which is another reason I don't like them

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote