View Single Post
Old 24-01-2012, 11:01   #145
Rover1929
Junior Member+

Re: The King is gone = new management, who?

Whalley Red,

I think he's the best manager in the league now that Michael O'Neill and even Pat Fenlon have left. We play some great football, and regulary knock teams for six at The Showgrounds, but playing nice football isn't always as effective as the league champions Shamrock Rovers who play more direct and it pays off to be fair. The board have made the funds available for any players Paul wants to bring in. You have to understand a lot of players who sign for clubs in Ireland are free agents, so wages is only an issue.

The departure of Richie Ryan to Dundee Utd freed up a lot of wages to bring in a couple of more, that coupled together with our European money, helped us deliver a 60k profit. No doubt some of that will go to improving the squad. We scored the most and conceded the least in the league last year, but losing Ryan and the leagues top scorer Eoin Doyle to Hibernian leaves a gap, but we've only lost those two and two more I think, so retainly the bulk of last years squad and adding a couple of better quality players will help us make the push for the league.

Cook has the players playing a very fluid style, the full backs overlap the wingers, and are like wing backs at times. The attacking style does leave us open to the counter attack on occasions, but games involving Sligo Rovers rarely end goal less.

Cook has his own philosophy, and I think he'd work well with Accrington Stanley. He's publicly stated he wants to manage in the UK in the near future, can't see a more fitting opportunitly to be honest.
Rover1929 is offline   Reply With Quote