View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 21:42   #22
ToffeeGuy

Re: A cause for....apathetic disinterest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Today is the 60th anniversary of the accession to the throne of our fair land of our Sovereign Lady, The Queen. More blessed than any other County in England, we have as our hereditary Duke, the monarch herself.

When I was in the Netherlands, also a Constitutional Monarchy, I was surprised to see that any and every anniversary surrounding Queen Beatrix and her life was celebrated. The national flag, adorned with an orange wimple, was hung from almost every window in Amsterdam. Parties were held. Indeed, on Queens Day, April 30th. the whole of the centre of Amsterdam is closed and the Bylaws suspended for the day in celebration. I fondly remember the slogan on one t-shirt, which read: "There is room for more than one Queen in Amsterdam"

And yet here, where we enjoy a unique relationship with the Head of State, our Queen and Duke, I see almost nothing to mark this significant point in our history. For a country as obsessed with breaking records and the extolling of such, I find it odd.

Have we all lost interest?
There's a four day bank holiday weekend in June to mark the occasion and for celebrations. I don't think most people would be willing to put out the bunting in dark & cold February. Plus lets not forget that it also the sad anniversary of her father passing away so the actual accession day is also about quiet reflection for a great monarch.

Believe me, by mid-June people will no doubt be complaining about too many celebrations. And no doubt people on this forum will be complaining about the cost to the taxpayer of all the pomp.

Dei Gratia Regina
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote